Monday, October 4, 2010

Narcissism



In taking inventory of my actions as much as I hate to admit it narcissism (a tool beautifully designed by the Devil perhaps) is behind much of what I think is behind my fears and wants. It drives incorrect modes of thinking, is what leads us to escape the truth and puts a wall between us and God as well as those we love. The crazy self fulfilling prophecy of narcissism of course is that we refuse to admit we've fallen victim to it. But those things that we wish to control, surely because we would be better at controlling the situation and can't fathom any other outcome are a direct result of a level of malignant narcissism, at least for me anyway.

I found the following bible verse spoke to me on this topic.

Philippians 2:1-30: "So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, ..."

And the great thing about perhaps being willing to give up those old egotistical ways is that I can humbly admit I might even be wrong about the above. Doesn't matter. God is right and his truth is the truth for me whether I get it the first, second or even 54th time.

No comments: